



The Philippine government has ordered the indefinite suspension of the entire passenger fleet operated by Aleson Shipping Lines following the sinking of the ferry MV Trisha Kerstin 3, which has resulted in 29 confirmed deaths, according to the Philippine Coast Guard.
The inter-island cargo and passenger ferry capsized and sank in the early hours of 26 January off Baluk-Baluk Island in Basilan province, southern Philippines.
The vessel was sailing from Zamboanga City to Jolo in Sulu province when the incident occurred. Search and rescue operations are continuing, with authorities saying there is still hope of finding survivors.
Acting Transportation Secretary Giovanni Lopez announced that Aleson’s passenger fleet would remain grounded while a full investigation and safety audit are carried out.
He said the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) and the Philippine Coast Guard had been given 10 days to inspect not only the company’s vessels but also its crew.
Lopez said official records showed that Aleson Shipping Lines had been involved in 32 maritime incidents since 2019, raising concerns about long-term safety oversight.
He said that the responsibility would not only fall on the shipowner, and that government agencies could also be checked for any failings.
The MV Trisha Kerstin 3 departed Zamboanga City at 21:20 local time on 25 January, carrying 314 passengers and 27 crew members, within its authorised capacity of 352.
The vessel issued a distress call at around 01:50, nearly four hours into the voyage, after strong waves flooded its lower deck.
𝐔𝐏𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄: Labing-isang labi ang na-recover sa pagpapatuloy ng search and rescue (SAR) operation sa katubigang sakop ng Baluk-Baluk Island, Basilan, ngayong araw, ika-29 ng Enero 2026.
https://t.co/XdEoIZ1jNq#DOTrPH
#CoastGuardPH#MaritimeSectorWorks pic.twitter.com/b8Kg4ec6Mh
— Philippine Coast Guard (@coastguardph) January 29, 2026
Initial Coast Guard assessments stated that the ferry was not overloaded and that sea conditions were considered manageable at the time.
Survivors later said that the lashings holding vehicles on the lower deck failed, causing the vehicles to move and the ship to tilt sharply before capsizing.
A large-scale rescue effort involving Coast Guard cutters, naval vessels, Air Force helicopters, commercial ships and local fishing boats led to the rescue of 316 people.
Many survivors reported being thrown into the sea without warning and spending hours floating in life jackets or clinging to debris before help arrived.
On Thursday, Coast Guard divers recovered 11 additional bodies from waters near the wreck, raising the confirmed death toll to 29, including children.
The bodies were brought ashore in Basilan for identification, with assistance from local residents, fishermen and family members.
Authorities said the ship’s passenger list may be inaccurate, as the total of survivors and deaths seems higher than official records. Families of missing passengers want the search to continue.
Among those initially reported missing were the ferry’s captain, eight crew members and a coast guard safety marshal.
Coast Guard Commandant Ronnie Gil Gavan said search and rescue efforts remained the immediate priority, with technical divers and remotely operated vehicles deployed to inspect the wreck, which lies at a depth of about 76 metres.
The suspension of Aleson’s fleet has disrupted travel between Zamboanga City, Basilan and Sulu, where the company previously operated several daily sailings.
Reference: Bloomberg
Source: Maritime Shipping News