A career at sea brings with it a wealth of opportunity, providing individuals with the training and experience for a lifetime of rewarding challenges, which in the longer term can be continued either at sea or ashore.
Seafaring offers a stimulating, fulfilling and well-paid career for people who enjoy the associated challenges and responsibility, and who want more from a career than the usual ‘nine to five’ routine.
While many will aspire to reach the ranks of captain, chief engineer, chief electro-technical officer or hotel operations manager on board ship, others may decide later on to move ashore and pursue one of the many opportunities available to experienced mariners in the international maritime industry or elsewhere.
Examples of some typical shore based career opportunities include:
- ship management and fleet operations
- surveying ships to check seaworthiness
- ports and harbor management and pilotage
- lecturer in college, training the seafarers of the future
- maritime regulatory authorities
- ship repair and marine equipment production
- marine insurance
- shipbroking and finance
- ship classification
- maritime law and arbitration
- offshore exploration