


The United States military has carried out a fresh strike on a boat in international waters in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, killing two people, according to US Southern Command.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Southern Command said the vessel was travelling along known drug-trafficking routes and was allegedly involved in narcotics smuggling operations.
The command said intelligence assessments linked the boat to designated terrorist organisations. It added that two individuals described as narco-terrorists were killed in the strike and that no US military personnel were injured.
The US military did not identify those killed, did not name the organisation it said was operating the boat, and did not provide evidence to support its claims.
No details were released about the nationality of the people on board or whether attempts were made to intercept the vessel before it was struck.
The latest strike is part of Operation Southern Spear, a maritime campaign launched in September under orders from President Donald Trump.
On Feb. 5, at the direction of #SOUTHCOM Commander Gen. Francis L. Donovan, Joint Task Force Southern Spear conducted a lethal kinetic strike on a vessel operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations. Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking… pic.twitter.com/B3ctyN1lke
— U.S. Southern Command (@Southcom) February 6, 2026
Per The New York Times data, atleast 37 to 38 lethal strikes have been carried out since the operation began, resulting in the deaths of at least 128 people labelled by the administration as narco-terrorists.
Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has said the operation is intended to remove narco-terrorists from the region and reduce the flow of illegal drugs into the US.
Critics have argued that the individuals targeted are civilians suspected of criminal activity and that the strikes are being carried out without arrest, trial, or judicial oversight.
Previously, suspected drug traffickers intercepted at sea were detained and taken to the United States to face prosecution. Under the current approach, suspected smugglers are being targeted with lethal force rather than arrested.
More recently, the families of two Trinidadian men killed in a strike on October 14 have filed a lawsuit against the US government. Court filings allege that the strike amounted to unlawful killings carried out without legal justification.
References: BBC, FirstPost
Source: Maritime Shipping News