



The United States military has carried out its 43rd strike on a suspected drug-trafficking vessel in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, killing three people on 20 February, 2026.
US Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) confirmed the operation, describing it as a lethal kinetic strike conducted along known narco-trafficking routes.
The latest action raises the reported death toll from the ongoing US campaign against alleged drug boats to at least 148 people since early September, across operations in the Eastern Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.
SOUTHCOM stated that the strike was executed under the direction of its commander, Gen. Francis L. Donovan, by Joint Task Force Southern Spear.
According to the command, intelligence assessments indicated that the vessel was transiting along established narco-trafficking routes and was engaged in drug-trafficking operations.
Three male individuals, described by the command as narco-terrorists, were killed. SOUTHCOM reported that no US military personnel were injured during the operation.
A 16-second video released by the command showed a stationary boat at sea before it was hit and burst into flames.
On Feb. 20, at the direction of #SOUTHCOM commander Gen. Francis L. Donovan, Joint Task Force Southern Spear conducted a lethal kinetic strike on a vessel operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations. Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known… pic.twitter.com/PzWQFfNgHm
— U.S. Southern Command (@Southcom) February 21, 2026
Authorities did not identify the organisation allegedly operating the vessel. No public evidence was presented to substantiate claims regarding the individuals’ involvement in drug trafficking.
The strike marks the 43rd reported maritime attack since the campaign began in early September.
The US military has conducted operations in both the Caribbean Sea and the Eastern Pacific, targeting vessels it says are operating along known drug-smuggling routes in international waters.
Earlier in the same week, SOUTHCOM announced three separate vessel strikes in the Pacific and Caribbean that resulted in 11 deaths.
Defence Department and congressional officials have stated that the frequency of operations has increased in recent weeks. Strikes have reportedly occurred every three or four days since Gen. Donovan assumed command last month, following the retirement of Adm. Alvin Holsey. Officials said the former commander had expressed concerns about the operations.
President Donald Trump has stated that the United States is in armed conflict with cartels in Latin America and has defended the strikes as necessary to curb drug flows.
However, legal specialists on the use of force have argued that the operations may constitute extrajudicial killings. They have maintained that military forces cannot deliberately target civilians who do not pose an imminent threat of violence, even if they are suspected of criminal activity.
Ben Saul, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on human rights and counterterrorism, stated that the public descriptions of the operations amounted to an admission of the killing of civilians at sea and called for accountability through US or international legal mechanisms.
The campaign has also come under criticism after reports said that survivors of the first vessel strike in September 2025 were killed in a second attack while holding onto wreckage.
References: Indian Express, U.S. Southern Command
Source: Maritime Shipping News